The cold process method of soapmaking relies almost exclusively on the heat generated by saponification (the chemical reaction of fatty acids and alkali to produce soap). No external heat is applied once the ingredients have been mixed. Although it may seem complicated when you are first starting out, making your own soap from scratch (the way some of our grandparents did) using all-natural ingredients can be both fun and rewarding ~ not to mention extremely addicting!
ONLY 10 SPACES AVAILABLE! Buy your ticket now to reserve your space. (CLICK ABOVE WHERE IT SAYS «TICKETS AVAILABLE» TO PAY FOR AND RESERVE YOUR SPACE.
The class will cover the following as Greg demonstrates how to make TWO 12-pound batches of soap (about 36-45 bars each) using the cold process method. First batch will be a solid colored batch. The second batch will be on how to swirl colors in soap.
• Brief history and basic chemistry of soap making
• Necessary materials, supplies and equipment
• Safety considerations when working with sodium hydroxide
• Taking accurate measurements & proper mixing temperatures
• Coloring soap naturally with herbs, spices & clays • Using pure essential oils to scent your soap naturally
• Preparing your molds and molding options
• Insulating, cutting, curing and storing your finished soap
Due to the nature of making soap from scratch, this class is mainly demonstration style. NOTE: This is an age 18+ class since making soap from scratch involves working with lye (aka sodium hydroxide). $59.00 Includes copy of Greg’s book: Making Soap From Scratch – A Beginner’s Guide & Beyond (retail value, $11.95) and two bars of soap, your choice (retail value, $9.00)
Class will be held in our Aromagregory store at 223 Donelson Pike, Nashville TN 37214